We love pistachios! (And we know we're not alone.) And what might be better than raw pistachios? Pistachio gelato of course!
There are a ton of recipes out there for pistachio ice cream that require an ice cream maker. Not everyone has one of those so we wanted to share a recipe that didn't need a fancy ice cream machine. Though, it's pretty cool if you do have one. =)
Just follow the recipe below and you're well on your way to a pistachio treat that everyone will love!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
How to make it:
- Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in processor.
- Combine pistachio and sugar mixture with milk and almond extract in medium saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Whisk egg yolks (no egg whites) and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk milk mixture into yolk mixture gradually. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium heat until it thickens slightly. About 8 mins. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Place into a sturdy freezer-safe pan. Place in freezer for 30 mins.
- Churn the mixture by hand using whisk or hand mixer every 30-45 minutes until the texture is similar to frozen yogurt. About 3 to 4 hours or 6 "churns."
- Keep in freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup chopped shelled pistachios on top of gelato and serve.